Experience the best of Australia's outback in 2023
There's never been a better time to visit the pristine wilderness and diverse landscapes of Australia’s outback. From the tropical Top End and WA's Kimberley region to Australia's Red Centre and the Flinders Ranges, this is your essential guide to Australia's most memorable outback adventures.
By Walk into Luxury
Australia’s vast outback is the essence of this ancient land, providing a true sense of place and a deep connection to country.
The best time to visit is between April and October when northern and central Australia's dry season brings mostly clear skies, warm days and refreshingly cool evenings, ideal for dinner under the stars and cosy fireside drinks.
This is the year to secure a great value outback adventure so we've pulled together some of our favourite experiences to inspire you.
Main image: Murray River Walk scenery by Luke Tscharke
New ways of exploring ancient landscapes
Whether on land, by water or by air, discover Australia's outback from a range of different perspectives.
- Experience Australia's greatest river on foot and by boat on the Murray River Walk
- Stay overnight at the iconic Horizontal Falls aboard the Jetwave Pearl Luxury Houseboat
- Trek across the West McDonnell Ranges on the Classic Larapinta Trail
- Discover the Flinders Ranges on The Arkaba Walk
- Explore the gorges of El Questro and the impressive Bungle Bungle beehive domes on our Private Kimberley Walk
- Sail and snorkel Western Australia's Ningaloo Coast on Shore Thing
- Enjoy the best of the Top End on our Mary River Wetlands and Kakadu journey
- For the ultimate Kimberley Walk experience, picnic at the base of Miri Miri Falls or soar above Mitchell Falls
Appreciate the vastness of our island continent on a cross-country rail journey.
- Travel north to south on The Ghan (Adelaide to Darwin via Alice Springs, or reverse)
- Go from west to east on The Indian Pacific (Perth to Sydney via Adelaide, or vice versa)
Our favourite outback luxury lodges
Sit back, relax and choose your own adventure at these all-inclusive luxury lodges, set among some of the wildest and most remote landscapes of Australia.
Get in touch with our Journey Designers to discuss and start planning your perfect Australian outback adventure!
Plan your next hike with our guide to the Australian and New Zealand walk seasons. Here we answer the common questions: "When is the best time to walk in Australia?", "When is the Great Walk season in New Zealand?", and more.
Where will 2023 take you? We've pulled together a list of our favourite adventures and wellness experiences for the modern traveller. May it inspire you to get into nature and make this year the one you chase those travel dreams.