Hike the Milford Track on this multi-day guided walk with comfortable eco-lodge accommodation as you make your way through Fiordland National Park to Milford Sound
The Milford Track showcases the mountainous peaks, waterfalls and valleys of Fiordland National Park as you traverse Mackinnon Pass and other landmarks on your way to Milford Sound. This multi-day guided walk operates from November to April and includes private eco-hut accommodation along the 54 km Milford Track on three nights, with a final night at Mitre Peak Lodge at Milford Sound. The guided hike is open to up to 50 hikers per departure, in the company of three professional guides from Ultimate Hikes. There is the opportunity to find your own space and hike alone, or meet new friends. The Milford Track experience includes return transfers from Queenstown (or Te Anau), and all meals and snacks on your walk. On the last morning, look forward to a scenic cruise on Milford Sound and views of Mitre Peak from the water. If hiking the Milford Track end-to-end is on your bucket-list, this is the walk for you.
From AUD$3625 pp (twin share) or AUD$4995 (single room)
From NZD$3995 pp (twin share) or NZD$5495 (single room)
Your 7 day itinerary including the Milford Track hike and pre and post inclusions in Queenstown includes:
- Two nights accommodation in Queenstown (pre and post walk) in an Executive Lake View room at The Rees Hotel
- Daily breakfast at The Rees Hotel
- Four nights accommodation on your Walk in an ensuite room including at private lodges on the Milford Track (for three nights) and a final night at Milford Sound
- All meals and snacks on the track and at your Walk accommodation, including three course lodge dinners
- Hike the 54 km (33 mile) Milford Track end-to-end with experienced local guides
- Scenic boat cruise on Milford Sound
- Return ground transfers from Queenstown to Milford Track
- Transfers from the Rees to your pre-walk briefing and to your walk departure point the next day
- Transfer from Queenstown Airport to the Rees
- Transfer from the Rees to Queenstown Airport
- 40L hiking pack supplied for you to carry on the Walk
- Luggage storage and car storage if required during your Walk
- All bedding, towels and select toiletries for your convenience at the Milford Track lodges
- Walk into Luxury journey design team support - let us incorporate your Milford experience into a broader New Zealand journey featuring the best lodges, day walks, wineries and more
* Our pricing includes the best Queen ensuite rooms (or Twin room if preferred) based on 1-2 guests per room. If you would prefer a triple share or quad share room and don't require a private ensuite, please let us know as we may be able to offer a lower price. Minimum age for the Milford Track hike is 10 years, and the per person rate is the same for adults and children. Pricing may vary for public holiday and peak dates and due to currency fluctuations, and will be confirmed in your quote prior to booking.
The Milford Track runs from the northern end of Lake Te Anau to Milford Sound. The Milford Track guided walk departs from and returns to Queenstown on New Zealand's South Island. This is also where your pre-walk briefing occurs the day before you depart. Thus, we included luxury accommodation in Queenstown before and after the walk along with airport transfers and drop-offs.
Your driver will collect you on arrival into Queenstown Airport and transfer you to your pre-walk accommodation at The Rees Hotel. Stay in an Executive Lakeview Room with views over Lake Wakatipu and convenient onsite restaurant and bar. After checking in, join the transfer from the Rees to your pre-walk briefing at 2.45pm in the town centre. You will meet your guides and receive your 40L hiking pack and instructions for the days ahead at the briefing so it's important to attend. After returning to your accommodation, you have a free evening to enjoy Queenstown or relax with dinner onsite. Rest up as all the fun begins tomorrow.
Included: No dining inclusions
After a full-cooked breakfast at the Rees, join the transfer to your Queenstown departure point and meet fellow hikers. You'll set off just after 9am this morning by bus travelling to Te Anau in time for a casual lunch at Hollyford Café. After lunch rejoin the bus continuing to Te Anau Downs, where you will set off on a one hour boat ride on Lake Te Anau to Glade Wharf at the northern end of the lake. It is from here that you officially start your Milford Track hike. Enjoy a short scenic walk along the track this afternoon to emerge into the Glade where your first private lodge awaits, perched alongside the Clinton River. After refreshments a guide will take you on a short nature walk up the Glade Burn to familiarise yourself with the terrain before settling into the lodge for drinks, snacks, and dinner followed by a short briefing on the day ahead.
Daily walk distance: 1.6 km plus optional short walk from the lodge.
Included: B - L - D
Today, after breakfast and packing your lunch for the day ahead, you will cross the Clinton River swing-bridge and follow the river along a graded track. Beech forest covers this section until you get to the Prairie –a wide open space with tall grass and Manuka bush. Take a side track to Prairie lake for a dip before heading up towards Pomplona Lodge to be welcomed by the lodge host with a cold drink. Relax with a hot shower, rinse out your hiking gear and enjoy a pre-dinner drink before dinner. Daily walk distance: 16 km
Included: B - L - D
Today is the most challenging of the Milford Track, especially in inclement weather, so guests are encouraged to walk at their own pace. The track leads up to the head of the Clinton Valley, before climbing the Mackinnon Pass in a series of zig-zags. At the top you will be rewarded with spectacular panorama views and a rest at the Mackinnon Memorial. Walk on to the highest point and stop for lunch with hot drinks in Pass Hut. The descent into the Arthur Valley to Quintin Lodge is steep and rocky. Once there, drop your bags, and have a snack because you can't miss taking the optional round trip to the Sutherland Falls, the world's fifth highest waterfall. Finish your day at the lodge and enjoy local produce over your three course dinner. Daily walk distance: 15 km.
Included: B - L - D
Today you will enjoy a day of more waterfalls, with Mackay Falls first, followed by Giants Gate waterfall. The section of the Milford Track walked today is well-graded making for a pleasant tramp. Enjoy lunch today at Giants Gate before crossing the swing bridge, and continuing the remaining distance of the Milford passing Lake Ada before arriving at Sandfly Point on Milford Sound. You'll arrive at Mitre Peak Lodge after a boat ride across Milford Sound. Join your friends for a well-earned toast on arrival. Daily walk distance: 21 km.
Included: B - L - D
Having enjoyed a restful night after completing your Milford Hike, this morning enjoy a continental and cooked breakfast at the lodge. The guides will ensure your belongings are labelled and loaded to the bus, before dropping you at the wharf to board a short scenic cruise on Milford Sound. Enjoy waterfalls and wildlife and glimpse the Tasman Sea before returning to Milford Sound foreshore. From here it's a relaxing bus ride back to Queenstown, where you will check-in at the Rees late-afternoon. Options for tonight include a celebratory dinner at True South - the onsite restaurant overlooking Lake Wakatipu, or a night out in Queenstown. Daily walk distance: no walking today.
Included: B - L
Enjoy a sleep-in and breakfast at the Rees this morning. If you'd like to stretch your legs today there is a beautiful 30 minute walk along the lakeside into Queenstown, or you may like us to pre-book an in-room massage for you today. You will also notice a lovely spa bath in the Executive Lakeview Room (subject to availability) for soaking any tired legs. After check-out, your transfer to Queenstown airport marks the end of your journey. Please enquire for extended South Island itinerary options or additional nights or experiences in Queenstown. We'd be delighted to customise your trip to suit your plans.
The Milford Track Walk season runs mid November to early April. Almost daily departures in season.
Stunning natural beauty... Best of the Great walks. World class.