Best Cape To Cape Tours and Cape To Cape Day Walks
The Cape to Cape Track in Margaret River is a spectacular long-distance coastal trek, and we would go as far as to call it the best walk in Australia.
By Nikki King
Walk into Luxury offers private walking tours and small group Cape to Cape tours, so yes we may be biased. But it is a truly beautiful part of the West Coast taking in much of the bio-diverse Leeuwin-Naturalist National Park in the Margaret River wine region, about 3 hours south of Perth. The track runs approximately 125 km from Cape Naturaliste to Cape Leeuwin through the Margaret River region. As one of the few local walking tour operators on the Cape to Cape Track, we want to share our tips to help you discover the best of our beautiful Cape to Cape. Whether that's one of our luxury Cape to Cape Tours, or going your own way on a day walk or end to end hike on the Cape to Cape, we hope this helps you plan your Cape to Cape adventure!
Walk into Luxury Cape to Cape Walk options:
- Best Guided Cape to Cape Day Walk - Our 1 day Cape to Cape Walk and Margaret River Winery Lunch experience is the ultimate combination of Margaret River’s walks, beaches, food and wine. You’ll enjoy a half day on the Cape to Cape Track with time for a swim in a secluded bay and a poplar beach at the end, before being transferred to Wills Domain winery for an award-winning four course lunch with wine matches. All this plus your own private guide and private driver means you walk at your own pace.
- Best Small group Cape to Cape tour – Our signature 4 day Cape to Cape Walk is one of the Great Walks of Australia and delivered by our award-winning team of local Margaret River guides. Over 4 days you'll experience the best sections of the Cape to Cape Track combined with winery lunch, private chef dinner, local food and wine and generally the best that Margaret River has to offer. Your luxury accommodation just off the Cape to Cape Track features private plunge pools with ocean views so you can watch the sunset over the track and Indian Ocean each evening.
- Best Private Cape to Cape Walk (self-guided, but with full support) - If you want your Cape to Cape walking tour to be arranged by us, but you want the freedom to walk self-guided, our 6 day Private Cape to Cape Walk is just the ticket. This is still a luxury walking tour on the Cape to Cape with everything included, but you are on your own on the track to just enjoy the beautiful surrounds. Learn more about our self-guided Cape to Cape walking tour.
Independent Cape to Cape Walk itineraries
- Cape to Cape Day Walk (independent option): If you are planning your own self-guided Cape to Cape Walk, and only have a day to spare, our pick for the best section of the track to walk is Redgate Beach to Boranup Forest. The reason being this 15 km section of the Cape to Cape takes in pristine white sand beaches, limestone cave and clifftops, and finishes in the majestic karri forest. It is a beautiful snap-shot of the best of the Cape to Cape. Another great option is Cape Naturaliste lighthouse to Yallingup (14 km; allow 6 hours) - finish at historic Caves House for a post-walk beverage in the beer garden, or if you have energy continue 3 kms more to finish at Smiths Beach Resort. This offers luxury self-contained accommodation opposite one of the region's best beaches.
- Cape to Cape End to End Walk: If you'd like to walk the Cape to Cape self-guided and carrying your own gear, there are a couple of considerations. You can hike north to south (from Cape Naturaliste to Cape Leeuwin) or south to north. Depending on the time of year the wind direction may play a factor in your decision. Transportation options and location of campsites and accommodation are also relevant depending on how far you want to walk each day and whether you want to start with shorter days and work up to longer days on the Cape to Cape Track. Cape Naturaliste to Yallingup or Injidup is a very achievable first day on the walk and allows you to warm up slowly. If you start at Cape Leeuwin you tackle a more remote and challenging first day on the track - Deepdene Beach is notorious for its 6 km of beach walking. There are four recommended campsites on the Cape to Cape Track itself - these are fairly basic bush sites with the exception of Contos campground which is slightly larger and has toilet and camp kitchen facilities. There are also caravan parks at Yallingup, Gracetown, Prevelly (near Margaret River) and Hamelin Bay which are all good options. Accommodation in hotels, bed and breakfasts, chalets and Air BnBs are all available too, though some will require a kilometre or two detour off the trail to reach. Whatever your accommodation you choose the beauty of the Cape to Cape Walk will leave you inspired to get out of bed or your swag each morning. To help plan your self-guided Cape to Cape Walk there are great hard copy and digital maps available online to assist.
Whether walking independently, or on a private or small group tour, we hope your Cape to Cape Walk is your best walking holiday yet.